American Cultural Studies: An Introduction to American Culture
Praise for previous editions:
'Something of a godsend ... as a teaching resource this book is second to none ... achieves levels of multiplicity rarely, if ever, reached by others.' - Borderlines: Studies in American Culture
This third edition of American Cultural Studies has been updated throughout to take into account the developments of the last six years, providing an introduction to the central themes in modern American culture and explores how these themes can be interpreted.
Chapters in the book discuss the various aspects of American cultural life such as religion, gender and sexuality, and regionalism. Updates and revisions include:
- discussion of Barack Obama’s rise to power and the end of the ‘Bush Years’
- consideration of ‘Hemispheric American Studies’ and the increasing debates about globalisation and the role of the USA
- up-to-date case-studies, such as The Wire and Nurse Jackie,
- more on suburbia, the Mexican-border crossing, the Twilight phenomena etc
- updated further-reading lists.Accompanying website.
American Cultural Studies is a core text and an accessible introduction to the interdisciplinary study of American culture.